This gorgeous watermelon carving requires some advanced to intermediate carving skills. If you are a beginning carver please see our Complete Step by Step Vegetable and Fruit Carving Book for more simple watermelon carvings and many more garnishes.
Other watermelon carvings included in The Art of Thai Vegetable and Fruit Carving include: Carved Zinnia, Yellow Watermelon, Flower And Leaf Design, Varieties Of Flowers and Decorations.
See more details in our online fruit carving
store along with a complete line of tools, knives and DVD's to learn this highly refined Asian art.
| Flowery Watermelon Carving
- Choose a fresh, round shaped watermelon. Wash it thoroughly.
- From the base of the watermelon, divide it into 7 parts. The leaves wil be made 2/3 high of the whole height of the watermelon. Cut 1/4" deep to make a leaf. Scrape each leaf into a pointed tip. Then turn the watermelon's calyx up.
- Peel the skin but leave the green part of the carved leaves. Carefully cut apart each leaf.
- Make a zig-zag pattern around the rim of each leaf.
- Carve 7-8 flowers with stems and leaves. Then carefully emphasize the carved pieces by cutting some flesh off.
- Cut off part of the watermelon which is not carved until the red flesh appears. Smooth the whole watermelon.
- Wash with cool water.
- Lay foam inside of the pedestal and cover with pine leaf. Put the prepared watermelon on top.
- Choose only a fresh watermelon with bright red flesh.
- While carving do not cut very deep or else black seeds will appear.
- If not serving immediately, wrap with damp thin cloth and leave in the refrigerator.
Carving from The Art of Thai Vegetable and Fruit Carving Copyright 1990 Hobby Maker Press
available in our online store for fruit carving and garnishing tools, books and knives.