Vegetarian Roasted Chili Paste Recipe (Nam Prik Pao)
This recipe can be used to make our Vegetarian Tom Yum Soup recipe or simply enjoyed as a dip for fresh crudite vegetables.
- 2 Tbsp oil of your choice 1 small handful onion
- 1 Tbsp fresh garlic
- 1 Tbsp cashew nuts
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp miso (soya bean paste)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- In a wok, fry onion and garlic in hot oil until brown.
- Separately, in a mortar and pestle, crush cashew nuts and sesame seeds and mix with chili powder, sugar, lime juice, miso, and soy sauce.
- Empty the contents of the wok (fried onion and garlic) into the mortar and pestle and mix thoroughly. Finally, fry the entire mixture for about two minutes.
Recipe Copyright © 2007 Thai Vegetarian & Vegan Cookbook Sommay Jaijong, May Kai Dee