Homemade Red Curry Paste Recipe (Khrueang Kaeng Phet)
Thai Red Curry recipe. You'll need fresh Thai ingredients, a mortar & pestle and a bit of spare time.Prepare this authentic Thai curry paste to make our family's
Freeze any leftover paste up to 2 months in a zip lock bag, in tablespoon size portions, making it easy to add to future curries as needed.
- 1/3 cup dried Thai chilies
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 tsp. coarse sea salt
- 1 heaping Tablespoon (200 grams) garlic cloves
- 1 pc lemongrass, lower part sliced thinly crosswise
- 3/4 inch pc of fresh turmeric root (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 Tablespoon shrimp paste
Pulverize in a granite mortar and pestle the dried chillies, sea salt, garlic, lemongrass and turmeric to a fine paste. Blend in the shrimp paste with a spoon. Set aside.
See more Thai curry paste recipes:
|The Finished Curry Paste|
Recipe and Images © Temple of Thai 2010