Red Curry Paste Recipe (Nam Phrik Kaeng Phet)
This multi-ingredient red curry paste recipe is used with the recipe for Thai Curry with Duck, but you may also use it to make other types of red curry dishes. Also see our much simpler red curry paste recipe, which does not include dried spices.
- 1 Tblsp coriander seeds, roasted until brown
- 2 cardamom pods, roasted until brown
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 big dried red chilies, seeds removed and soaked in water for at least 10 minutes and then finely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 grams) galangal, skin removed, chopped
- 2 tsp (5 grams) lemongrass, lower third only, chopped
- 1 tsp (5 grams) kaffir lime peel, chopped
- 1 Tblsp (10 grams) coriander root, chopped
- 3 Tblsp (15 grams) shallots, chopped
- 3 Tblsp (15 grams) garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 grams) Thai shrimp paste
- 10 small fresh red chili peppers (prik kee noo)
Put the coriander seeds, cardamom pods and black peppercorns in a granite mortar and grind into a powder with a pestle. Add the rest of the ingredients and pound using a pestle for about 10 minutes until the paste is smooth. All the ingredients for the paste can also be put into a blender and liquidized. If the paste is too dry, you may need to add a bit of water.
Recipe © 2000 Sompon and Elizabeth Nabnian, Chiang Mai Thai Cookery School, Image © 2011 Temple of Thai
Passion for Thai Cooking CookbookThis recipe comes from the Passion for Thai Cooking cookbook from the Chiang Mai Cookery School, Thailand. This title contains well thought out recipes and is available for purchase in our Thai cookbook store.
More Thai Curry Recipes
- Kasma's Spicy Choo Chee Curry with Prawns/Scallops and mushrooms
- Sour Chicken Curry Recipe
- Traditional Red Curry
- Yellow Chicken Curry
- Pork Green Curry
- Red Curry with Chicken & Bamboo Shoots
- Read more about the different Thai Curries of Thailand
Shop for ready-made Thai Curry Pastes in our online Thai grocery.