Yellow Curry Paste Recipe (Nam Prik Gaeng Karee)
Use this homemade yellow curry paste in the recipe for Pum's Yellow Chicken Curry. The recipe here combines fresh herbs like galangal and lemon grass with dried spices including coriander, cumin, and dried chilies. For best taste, pulverize in a mortar and pestle or if pressed for time use an electric blender (preferably fitted with a small glass jar container).
- 3 dried chilies, seeds removed, soaked in water
- 5 broiled shallots
- 10 broiled garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sliced galangal, fresh or dried galangal soaked to soften
- 1 tbsp lemon grass, fresh
- 1 tsp broiled ginger
- 1 tbsp roasted coriander seeds (dry roasted, see how to)
- 1 tsp roasted cumin seeds (dry roasted, see how to)
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Thai shrimp paste (kapee)
Pum's Wok The World, Asia
This recipe is from the charming Pum's Wok The World, Asia cookbook, by Yardfon Pum Borranapim.
This and other titles are available in our Thai Cookbook store.
- Pound or blend all ingredients until ground smooth. (Note: use an electric blender with a small container or preferably a granite stone mortar and pestle).
Recipe © Yardfon Pum Borranapim, Pum Thai Food Chain Co, Ltd.; Image © cokemomo/123RF.com
More Thai Curry Paste Recipes:
Short on time but still want to make delicious Yellow Curry?
Try highly rated ready-made Nittaya brand Yellow Curry Paste.
"intensely delicious curries without the effort." ~ epicurious.com