Thai Red Curry with Roasted Duck Recipe (Kaeng Phed Ped Yang)
Red Curry with Roasted Duck is popular on Thai restaurant menus especially in the West. It is not the kind of dish that Thai people would usually make at home but is a good choice for a special occasion such as a dinner party. If you wish to make your own curry paste for this dish then see our homemade Red Curry Paste recipe or if you are short on time, you can always use a ready-made curry paste.
- 1 1/3 cup coconut cream, reserve 2 tablespoons (30ml) for garnish
- 2 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 6 oz (200g) roast duck, thinly sliced
- 1.76 oz (50g) red curry paste
- 3 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon (20g) palm sugar
- 3 kaffir lime leaves: 2 torn into pieces, discarding the stem and 1 finely shredded (for garnish)
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2 inch (1 cm) pieces
- 1 1/2 cup (5oz, 150g) fresh pineapple, cut into bite-sized pieces (1 inch x 1.5 inch)
- 6 small cherry tomatoes (4 oz, 100 grams)
- 10 seedless grapes (optional)
- 3/4 cup (1 oz, 30g) sweet basil leaves (reserve some for garnish)
- Pour the coconut cream into a wok or sauce pan and simmer for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until the coconut oil begins to separate out.
- Add the curry paste, fish sauce, palm sugar and torn kaffir lime leaves. Simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Add the duck and eggplant. Bring to a boil. Then add the coconut milk and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pineapple and cherry tomatoes and simmer for 2 minutes. Then add the grapes (if using) and sweet basil leaves. Turn off the heat and serve garnished with the remaining kaffir lime leaves, sweet basil and a few spoonfuls of thick coconut milk.
Recipe and small images Copyright © 2011 Temple of Thai; Main image Copyright Pangfolio.com © 2010 Used under license from Shutterstock.com
More recipes for Curry:
- Thai Red Curry Chicken with homemade Red Curry Paste
- Homemade Red Curry Paste
- Article about the different types of Thai Curry.
- Shop for ready-made Thai curry pastes in our online Thai grocery.
See this video for another Duck Curry Recipe.