Stir-Fried Shrimp with Asparagus (Goong Pad Nor Mai Farang)
This delicious shrimp stir-fry unites fresh, crunchy asparagus with succulent shrimp and stir-fried together with oyster sauce to make a great tasting combination.
- 1-2 cloves garlic, smashed with the side of a cleaver
- 1 lb. asparagus, cleaned
- 1/2 lb. medium-sized fresh shrimp, shelled and cleaned
- 1 tbsp. tapioca flour mixed with 2 tblsp. water
- 1/2 tsp. ground white peppercorn
- 1/2 tsp. light Thai soy sauce (Healthy Boy brand preferred)
- 2 tbsp. Thai oyster sauce (Mae Krua brand preferred)
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (canola, sunflower or palm)
- Roasted whole red chili peppers, optional garnish
- Heat wok over medium heat and add the oil. When hot, add the garlic and saute rapidly for about 30 seconds or less. When it has started to turn yellow, add the shrimp and asparagus, increase the heat and stir-fry over high heat. When shrimp is nearly cooked through, turn down the heat.
- Add the stock, oyster sauce, pepper and soy sauce. Turn up the heat again and when the liquid comes to a boil, pour in some of the tapioca flour-water mixture to thicken the sauce, adding as needed. Serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.
Note: Asparagus should be stir-fried quickly so that it is done yet still crisp.
*Tapioca flour, white peppercorn, light Thai soy sauce, and oyster sauce are all available online in our Thai Food Grocery.
Recipe Copyright © 1999 Temple of Thai; Image © 2009 Heinz Leitner/123RF.com