Learn the fine art of Thai fruit and vegetable carving by creating this beautiful pumpkin carnation flower carving. Arrange into a bouquet of flowers and present as a centerpiece for any catering event or party. You may purchase all the necessary tools, knives, books and DVD's in our online store for fruit carving, here at the Temple of Thai.
Carved Pumpkin Carnation Bouquet Instructions
Materials and Instruments:
- Carving knives, thin knives
- Green colored tape No.18, 20, and green tape
- Decorative leaves
- Wet Oasis wrapped with foil
- Cut out small, medium-sized, and large square pumpkin pieces. Shave shaping into round shape, turtle shape.
- Make a deep cut to form a cone shape in the middle. With the knife tip, cut out a petal with decorative rim while angling the knife. Make deep cuts to remove the flesh under the petal. Groove the area next to the first petal. With the knife tip, cut out another petal with decorative rim while angling the knife. Make deep cuts to remove the flesh under the petal. Carve 3-4 petals all around.
- Carve out the next row of petals. Angle the knife and groove curls. With the knife tip, cut out a petal with decorative rim while angling the knife. Make deep cuts to remove the flesh under the petal. Carve 5-6 overlapping petals all around. Proceed with carving 1-2 more rows of overlapping petals. Cut out the carved flower, and soak in icy cold water for 1-2 minutes. Carve out more flowers as desired. Arrange the carvings in the vase.
A Variety of Flowers, Vegetable & Fruit Carving, Book 1, by Burinpat Choowong, © 2005 Srisiam Printing Press Co, Ltd.; ISBN 974-92414-6-0; 104 glossy pages with full page color photos; Languages: Both Thai and English, imported from Thailand. Available for sale in our online store for fruit and vegetable carving along with many more books, DVD's, knives and tools for garnishing.