Roasted Chili Paste (Chilli Jam), Pantainorasingh, 16 oz
Roasted Chilli Paste (nahm prik pow in Thai or chilli jam) is an excellent accompaniment to steamed jasmine rice. Made primarily from roasted red chilis and ground dried shrimp, it has a wonderful mellow taste. Often added to Tom Yum soup recipes to enhance taste and coloring, it should be a stock ingredient in your Thai pantry. This paste is mildly spicy and somewhat sweet. Dip with shrimp crackers or chips, stir fry with vegetables or meat, or even spread on bread for an exotic sandwich. Also called chilli paste in soya bean oil.
Refrigerate after opening for up to 6 months or freeze in an ice cube tray for longer storage.
See a Thai recipe below for Fried Seafood with Chili Paste with Soybean Oil and also Kasma's Hot and Sour Shrimp Salad with Roasted Chili Sauce, Lemon Grass and Mint (Plah Gkoong).
- 5 large tiger prawns, cleaned
- 160 g squid, cleaned
- 15 baby clams, cleaned
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 pc spring onion, chopped
- 1-2 pc Thai Chilies, sliced
- 4 tablespoons Chili Paste with Soya Bean Oil (nam prik pao), Pantainorasingh
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 leaves Sweet Thai Basil
- Heat vegetable oil, fry garlic and Chili Paste with Soya Bean Oil until fragrant. Add baby clams, squids, prawns and water, saute until cooked.
- Garnish with celery, Spring onion, red chili and sweet basil. Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
Serves 2-3. Copyright 2008 Pantainorasingh.
See more Thai Chili Pastes:
Ingredients: Sugar, shallot, garlic, soya bean, dried chili, fish sauce, dried shrimp, msg, and paprika oleoresin.
Availability: Ships in 2-3 business days from Los Angeles, California.
Category: Chili Pastes