Tom Yum Gai - Sour & Spicy Chicken Soup Recipe
Tom Yum soup is a popular sour and spicy Thai soup, that can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. The recipe here adds chicken (Tom Yum Gai), but seafood or shrimp also make great additions (see our recipes for Tom Yum Taleh & Tom Yum Goong). Serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- 8 oz chicken breast, cut into 1 1/2 inch pieces (with or without bone) or shrimp
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2-3 pieces galangal, slices
- 1 1/2 cup straw mushroom, halved
- 4 Tablespoons Thai fish sauce
- 3 cups water
- 1 stalk lemon grass, cut into 2" long pieces
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon Thai chili pepper, chopped
Tom Yum Soup Set - Fresh Ingredients To Get You Started
- Bring water to boil in a medium-sized pot over high heat. Add kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemon grass. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add straw mushrooms. Cook for a few minutes more. Add chicken. Do not stir. Cook for 5 minutes or less until the chicken is cooked through - do not overcook.
- Remove from heat. Season to taste with fish sauce, lime juice and chili peppers. Serve immediately with steamed jasmine rice.
Recipe Copyright © 2010 Temple of Thai; Image © Sarun Tanomsak/123RF.com