Thai Chicken Soup in Coconut Milk (Tom Kha Gai)
This recipe for Thai coconut soup with chicken is incredibly easy. The key is to use fresh lemon grass in your cooking. Dried galangal works very well in this coconut-based soup. Serve over steamed jasmine rice with a stir-fry vegetable on the side for a complete meal.
- 2 1/2 cups Thai coconut milk, Chaokoh brand preferred
- 1/2 cup thin slices of galangal (fresh or dried)
- 1 lemon grass, cut into slices
- 5 fresh kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 5 shallots, crushed
- 3/4 lbs (300 grams) chicken meat, cut into thin slices
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 5-6 small hot Thai chillies, crushed
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp Thai fish sauce
- Bring the coconut milk to a boil and add the galangal, lemon grass, shallot and kaffir lime leaves. Add the chicken, salt and simmer slowly over low heat. When the chicken is cooked through, pour the coconut cream into the soup, stir gently, and when the soup returns to a boil, turn off the heat.
- Add the fish sauce, lime juice, and chilies. Transfer to a bowl and serve hot with steamed jasmine rice.
Recipe Copyright © Temple of Thai 2000; Image Copyright © chorboon_photo 2009, used under license from Shutterstock.com
- Shop for Thai ingredients in our marketplace.