Perfect Pad Thai Recipe
Pad Thai, a flavorful combination of stir-fried rice noodles is Thailand's most well known noodle dish. This relatively recent addition to Thai cuisine, puts crispy bean sprouts, crunchy roasted peanuts and garlic chives over soft rice noodles cooked in a sweet and sour sauce which is uniquely Thai in flavor. We have put all the necessary ingredients for this recipe into our Perfect Pad Thai Kit available in our online grocery.
|Pad Thai Sauce Recipe|
Prepare this Perfect Pad Thai Sauce to keep on hand so that you can whip up Pad Thai Noodles any time.
Ingredients for Perfect Pad Thai Sauce:
- 1 cup tamarind juice/water (see recipe below)
- 1/2 cup Thai Fish Sauce (Golden Boy brand)
- 1 cup Palm Sugar
- 1 cup water
Preparation for Pad Thai Sauce:
- Prepare tamarind water (see recipe below).
- Mix the tamarind water with fish sauce, and palm sugar. Stir well to dissolve sugar.
- Cook over low heat and stir, cook for 45 minutes until syrupy. Set aside.*
Note: If you are in a rush, use our already prepared Pad Thai Sauce.
*Our Perfect Pad Thai Sauce can be stored refrigerated tightly sealed for up to 3 months. This recipe will make enough for preparing Pad Thai several times. Bring to room temperature before using.
|Pad Thai Recipe|
Ingredients for Pad Thai Noodles (See our Perfect Pad Thai Kit below):
- 8 oz. medium Asian Rice Noodles (Thai Farmer Brand)
- approximately 4 tbsp. peanut oil or other vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb. frozen or fresh shrimp or 1/3 lb. boneless pork loin, shoulder or other similar cut
- 3/4 cup firm tofu, cut into 1 1/2" x 1" x 1/4" pieces
- 4-5 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup Dried Shrimp, soaked in warm water
- 1/4 cup chopped Sweet Pickled Radish/Turnip
- 2-3 tsp. Dried Ground Red Chili Peppers
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup garlic chives, cut into 1 inch lengths (or scallions)
- 8 tbsp. of the Perfect Pad Thai Sauce from above
Preparing Pad Thai
Presoak noodles: Soak the rice noodles in cool or lukewarm water for at least 40 minutes, until the noodles are limp but still firm to touch. When the noodles have softened, drain and set aside. While the noodles are soaking prepare the rest of the ingredients.
Prepare Pad Thai ingredients: Peel and devein shrimp leaving the tails on if desired (see our how to video in our blog here). Brine the shrimp if desired for moister and tastier shrimp by dissolving 1/4 cup sea salt (not included in kit) in 4-8 cups of water. To dissolve the sea salt, boil one cup of water first and stir in salt. Then add cool water and ice if needed to bring down the temperature. Submerge shrimp in a salt and water solution in a refrigerated container for 30 minutes. Drain, pat dry and set aside.
If using pork, slice into 1x1/2x1/4 inch slices. Set aside.
Prepare tofu, garlic, shallot and dried shrimp, garlic chives, scallions and lime and set aside.
Roast raw peanuts in a 350 F oven for 3 to 5 minutes; remove from oven and cool slightly; rub between fingers to remove skins. Crush peanuts with a mortar and pestle lightly to break up. Set aside.
Prepare Pad Thai: Heat a large wok or 12" skillet over high heat and add 2 teaspoons of cooking oil. Add garlic and stir quickly for about 30 seconds. Add shrimp (or pork) and cook until pink (or pork until brown) and almost cooked through. Remove from wok and set aside.
Add 2 tbsp. of oil to the wok, and let the wok heat up again. Add the tofu and stir-fry until golden brown, about 4-5 minutes. Add shallots, dried shrimp, sweetened radish and ground dried chilis. Important Note: unless your wok is very large, it is best to stir-fry noodles in 2 batches by setting half of the tofu-dried shrimp mixture aside.
Add the noodles and combine with other ingredients. Stir fry 1-2 minutes until softened. Push up along one side of the wok. Add a teaspoon of oil, pour in the eggs and cook to set. Cut eggs into small chunks with a spatula and toss with the noodles.
Add the prepared Pad Thai Sauce and stir well to coat noodles. If noodles are too firm for your liking sprinkle with 1-2 tbsp. water to help cook. Taste and adjust flavors if desired.
When noodles are cooked to your liking, toss in bean sprouts and garlic chives. Sprinkle with half of the chopped peanuts and add cooked shrimp or pork. Stir well to combine and when vegetables are partly wilted transfer to serving dishes.
Garnish with lime, bean sprouts, scallions, dried ground chilies and chopped peanuts. To be even more authentically Thai, you may also garnish the dish with fresh banana blossom, available here also.
- Get all the necessary ingredients for this recipe in our Perfect Pad Thai Kit!
- Shop for Pad Thai ingredients in our online Thai food market.
Recipe & Images © Temple of Thai 2005
Thanks to Kasma Loha-Unchit for the noodle soaking and cooking advice. And thanks to Pamela Lee, Moscow Food Coop for the shrimp brining process.
|Pad Thai Step by Step|
|Making Tamarind Water|
Tamarind Water or Concentrate
This simple preparation of tamarind paste is used in many Thai dishes, including our Perfect Pad Thai. You can now also see a How to Make Tamarind Water video in our blog.
- 6 tbsp Tamarind Paste (without seeds)
- 1 cup warm water
- Soak the paste in the warm water for 5 minutes. Squeeze the fiber with your fingers to extract as much juice and flavor as possible. Strain and discard fibers.