Red Curry with Chicken & Pumpkin (Kaeng Phet Gai Sai Fak Tong)
This authentic spicy coconut milk based red curry recipe uses homemade Red Curry Paste. Flavored with both fresh sweet basil leaves it is a harmonious dish with chicken. Finish the cooking with the addition of fish sauce to taste and serve with steamed jasmine rice.
- Our homemade red curry paste (all of the recipe) or 3 Tablespoons of prepared red curry paste
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 2 lbs (1 kg) small chicken drumsticks or chicken in small pieces (about 1.5" x 2")
- 3 cups (600 grams) pumpkin pieces (about 1" x 1.5")
- 2 cups lightly packed fresh sweet basil or 4 kaffir lime leaves
Bring coconut milk to a boil in a large pot over high heat, stirring frequently. Just before boiling add the curry paste and stir to blend. Once blended in, add the chicken and pumpkin. Boil until chicken and pumpkin is cooked through, less then 10 minutes. Check the pumpkin by piercing with a sharp knife - it should still be bright orange and retain some firmness (al dente) as it will continue to cook once the heat is turned off. When cooked add the sweet basil leaves or kaffir lime leaves, stir in to mix and then immediately remove from the heat. Season with fish sauce if desired (but not normally needed). Serves 4 people for 2 meals - it is even better the second day when the pumpkin has absorbed some of the curry spices.
Notes: If Thai sweet basil is not available in your area, either omit or substitute other fresh herbs such as coriander or European basil. See our Thai ingredients page for more details. Be sure to visit our grocery for all the fresh Thai herbs you need, including fresh basil, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf and turmeric root.
Short on time but still want to make delicious Curry?
Try our highly rated ready-made Nittaya brand Curry Paste.
"intensely delicious curries without the effort." ~ epicurious.com
|Thai Red Curry
- See another Traditional Thai Red Curry Recipe
- Make your own Curry Paste for this recipe
- Read more about the different types of Thai Curry