Thai Yellow Curry Chicken Recipe (Gaeng Karee Gai)
This is a shortcut version to delicious Thai Yellow Chicken Curry from Pum. Pum has a Thai cooking school in Phuket and also has Thai restaurants in Paris. Be sure to visit her when you are abroad. This recipe comes from one of her two published cookbooks, which are both for sale in our online grocery (see below). If you want to make your own curry paste see Pum's Yellow Curry Paste recipe.
- 2 oz (60 grams) chicken
- 4 oz (100 ml) coconut milk
- 6 oz(170 ml) water
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry paste
- 2 pc star anise
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoon Thai fish sauce
- 8 small tomatoes, cut into a 1" cubes
- 1/4 white onion, cut into a 1" cubes
- 8 slices of carrot
Pum's Wok The World, Asia
This recipe is from the charming Pum's Wok The World, Asia cookbook, by Yardfon Pum Borranapim.
This and other titles are available in our Thai Cookbook store.
- At low heat in a pan, mix the oil with star anise, cinnamon, onion, tomato and yellow curry paste. Then add the chicken. Stir until all is half cooked.
- Add the coconut milk with all the sauces (fish sauce and sugar). Then add the water and carrots, stir and bring to the boil.
- Mix 1/3 cup white vinegar, 2 1/4 tablespoons white sugar; and 1 teaspoon. salt in a small pot. Bring to a boil briefly, remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Slice 3 small cucumbers, 2 shallots, and 1 red chili (mild fresh chili, optional) just before serving and add the vinegar mixture.
Recipe and Image Copyright © 2008 Yardfon Pum Borranapim, Pum Thai Food Chain Co, Ltd.
- Find out more about the different types of Thai Curry in our explanatory article.
- See Pum's recipe for Yellow Curry Paste
- See an alternative Yellow Curry Recipe, simply delicious!
Short on time but still want to make delicious Yellow Curry?
Try highly rated ready-made Nittaya brand Yellow Curry Paste.
"intensely delicious curries without the effort." ~ epicurious.com