Super Satay Set, Various
Our Super Satay Set includes all of the authentic Thai ingredients you need to make our Satay Recipe; to complete the recipe, all you need from your local market is chicken or pork, garlic, shallots and cilantro (see complete list below). Everything else is included in the kit, including a recipe card with complete instructions.
Ingredients included in this Super Satay Recipe kit:
|Super Satay Recipe|
First prepare the Satay marinade and marinate the meat (at least a few hours or overnight). While the meat is marinating prepare the Satay Peanut Sauce. Once the meat is marinated, thread onto skewers and grill. Serve with warm Peanut Sauce and side dishes of Cucumber Salad and sliced pineapple.
Ingredients for Satay:
- 2 lb chicken or pork, cut into thin pieces, approximately 2-3 inches long
- 2 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce (Golden Boy brand)
- 2 teaspoon Coconut Palm Sugar
- 2 teaspoon Black Sweet Soy Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon White Pepper Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 minced cilantro roots or stems (optional)
- 1/3 cup Coconut Milk, Mae Ploy brand
- Bamboo Skewers, about 50pc, soaked in water 1 hour
Ingredients for Peanut Satay Sauce:
- 2 cup Coconut Milk, Mae Ploy brand
- 1 1/4 cup roasted Peanuts with Skin, roasted
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Seeds, roasted*
- 1/2 teaspoon Cumin Seeds, roasted*
- 1 stalk Fresh Lemon Grass, thinly sliced (white end only)
- 3 thinly sliced pieces of Fresh Galangal Root
- 6 pc shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 5 pc Dried Whole Red Chili Peppers, soaked in water to soften
- 2 teaspoon Shrimp Paste
- 2 teaspoon salt (sea salt is preferred)
- 1/4 cup Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1/4-1/2 cup Tamarind Concentrate*
First prepare the Satay marinade and marinate the meat. While the meat is marinating prepare the Satay Peanut Sauce. Once the meat is marinated, thread onto skewers and grill.
Satay Marinade: In a mixing bowl, mix together all of the marinade ingredients. Put chicken or pork into the marinade mixture and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30-45 minutes or overnight is best.
Peanut Satay Sauce:
- Pound together in a mortar and pestle or blend in a small blender container roasted container coriander seeds, cumin seeds, lemongrass, galangal, shallots and garlic into a smooth paste. Blend in shrimp paste. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, simmer coconut cream until film of oil forms on top. Add paste from step 1 and cook until fragrant. Add peanuts, salt, palm sugar and tamarind water. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, palm sugar or tamarind water as desired.
Prepare the Satay:
Thread meat strips onto the bamboo skewers leaving 3 inches at the end for a handle. Grill over grey charcoal or broil, basting frequently with coconut cream (see our note below) and turning, until lightly browned and cooked through. Remove from heat. Serve with Peanut Satay Sauce, Cucumber Salad and pineapple slices if desired.
- 2 tablespoon Tamarind Paste without seeds
- 1/2 cup water
Break off an approximately 2 tablespoon chunk of tamarind from the block of tamarind paste. Add a small amount of water to cover and work it with your fingers, to make a thick reddish brown liquid. Squeeze and discard any remaining pulp.
Notes: To baste the satay try using a homemade 'lemon grass brush'. Slice the bottom end of a fresh lemon grass lengthwise several times to fray the ends to form a 'brush.' Use a string to secure.
*Find out how to roast coriander and cumin seeds.
Your Grocery List for Satay:
- Chicken or pork
- Cilantro (optional)
See more recipes for Satay and read more about the origins of Satay.
Availability: Ships in 2-3 business days from Los Angeles, California.